Denial Wars Part 3: Quantum Mechanics
When FoGT reported on the Deniers' War in Calgary, we were unaware of some of the deeper connections. While the (Groucho)-Marxist analysis clarifies things, the real reason for the denial wars lies in quantum mechanics.
Deep in the structure of quantum mechanics is the division of particles into fermions and bosons due to the link between spin and statistics (this is not the same as using statistics for spin - that is classical, not quantum). Mainstream science seems to largely act like particles with no spin (bosons) which obey Bose-Einstein statistics. This means that they can assemble into a Bose-Einstein
This explains why denialists have to assert that the
- increases in solar activity are naturally warming the Earth and other planets;
- the Earth is cooling;
- at 0.038% of the atmosphere there is too little CO2 to have any effect;
- there is so much CO2 that it is absorbing the maximum possible amount of outgoing radiation;
- There is plenty of time to invent and deploy new technology and no need for immediate action;
- It is now too late to do anything to avoid human-induced climate change.
The polymorphic genius of Ian Plimer takes this even further - he can't even agree with himself. Not surprising, since his mentor is The Electric Monckton.
Prof Dr Moritz Lorenz. Sarah Palin School of Geography, Economics and Quantum Computing, University of Narbethong, West Island Campus, NZ